At Marimekko, we want to be at the forefront of developing more sustainable products and practices, and to help our community in making more sustainable choices.
Some of our products are marked with a 'More sustainable' tag. This means that with these products, we have been able to use more sustainable materials or production techniques. In addition, these products are marked with a special 'Timeless and more sustainable choice' hangtag.
The products are compared to corresponding Marimekko products, which have been produced using only conventional materials or production techniques, or the share of sustainable materials in the product is lower than in the criteria. Sustainability is a constantly developing field, and also our criteria are under constant development. Currently, the products which fulfill at least one criterion below are marked as Timeless and more sustainable products.
Criteria for 'Timeless and more sustainable choice' products
- Contain at least 30% recycled materials
- Contain at least 30% bio-based materials
- Contain at least 50% organic materials
- Contain at least 50% organic and recycled materials combined
- Contain at least 50% certified, responsible wool and all wool content in product is RWS certified or at least 50% certified, responsible wool and organic/recycled materials combined and all wool content in product is certified
- Made using upcycled fabrics, for example leftover materials or cutting waste from production.
- Dyed/printed with innovative and more sustainable printing/dyeing technologies, such as natural dyes (plant-based dyes or mineral dyes), leftover dyes or waterless dyeing processes.